Reflexology is a system of massage used to relieve tension and treat illness based on the theory that there are reflex points on the feet as well as the hands and the head, all linked to every part of the body.
My anatomy teacher informed me that there is a nerve ending to all organs and areas of the body. When massaged, this nerve will transmit a healing message to the afflicted area in the body allowing the surrounding facia to relax. This in turn facilitates lymphatic drainage and increases oxygen flow to the afflicted area.
Reflexology has a language all of its own and a therapist can see what the feet can tell about you current state of mind.
- The toes can reveal your thoughts
- The neck of the toes show you ability to express your true self
- The ball of the feet show your innermost feelings
- The instep shows how social you are, and how well you communicate and get on with others
- The heels reflect security and state of joy
- The right foot shows the recent past and the left your potential future
Reflexology not only balances your physical being but will restore your emotional well-being. Touch is essential for optimum health and emotional release.
When coming for a treatment you will lay or sit down, remaining fully clothed except for your shoes and socks. The practitioner may wash your feet and soak them in warm water.
Generally a session lasts between 30-60 minutes. You can rest or talk during the session at your discretion. If you fall asleep during the session, you will still receive the benefits of the treatment. Feedback during the session is encouraged, and of course, you can request that the session stop at any time.